Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Would you tell people that your child has ASD

People on the shoulders-sg support group (parents with ASD children) posted a question: Would you tell people that your child has autism? This email receives so many hits! People start telling people horrifying stories of how their children have been mistreated, wronged, bullied, etc....

What's my answer to the question? YES! I will. Painfully to narrate, but when his sunday school teacher commented to others that he was problematic and has "something less" in him, I really was very angry. I called up the person-in-charge of Sunday school, told him and taught that he would support me. And his reply -- "This is how the society and people will see our children. If someone were to come to help, I will be very surprised!". And guessed how disgusted I was.

That was the turning point in my life to tell people about BJ and his condition. I find others more accepting now, more willing to look into his interest.

But, now, the children in his sunday school class start to ask me weird question. A super-intelligent genius girl came to ask me, "Why is James so funny, and he talks like a baby?" It did not take long for that girl to recognize a deficit, but it may take a while for understanding and compassion to set in. (Such is a world where talents srufaced as jewels and the underpriviledged sunk and forgotten. Sad.) Now I have work to tell other children about BJ and his autism.

How would BJ think and feel about the girl's comment? I don't know. Do I care? Yes, I do. I care a lot, a lot!

1 Comments:

At 10:59 PM, Blogger ShutterBug said...

I think the Sunday School teacher is really inconsiderate to say what he said. ASD is just an often misunderstood behavioural term that people pegged to make themselves feel comfortable dealing with it.

The education to people to the world of autism is really lacking and I personally think you should broad the subject whenever you can to demystefy the stereotypical notions of ASD. Mr Brown of www.mrbrown.com 's daughter, Faith< has ASD also but he has opened up an avenue into his daughter's condition by blogging about and the things he and his wife has to cope with in the surmounting pressure of the soceity of 'normal' people.

Be strong! You are in our prayers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home