Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Overgeneralization

What a word - overgeneralisation. Children with autism normally do not generalize enough to know how to act consistently in varied settings and contexts. However, my BJ is overgeneralizing in this area:

HE DEMANDS AN APOLOGY FOR PEOPLE WHO WILFULLY AND ACCIDENTALLY DISTURB HIM.
Sounds strange. He demands it from his father, "Daddy, say sorry to me." Or point to someone who offended him, and tell me, "Mummy, tell XXX she cannot get angry at me."
What am I going to do with him? Headache lah!
Looks like the social scripting is in again....
The Script will look like: sometimes accidents happen when people knock into me. When they knock into me and do not say sorry, I don't have to get upset. I can walk away, and ask for a hug/eat sweet/blow bubbles. I will feel better after that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home