Wednesday, October 06, 2004

A poem

WHILE HE IS SLEEPING
I had a special little child not so very long ago.
Since then my life's been different in ways I could not know.
He isn't like other kids, who happily run to school.
He cannot play the games they play or understand the rules.

But when my child is sleeping he's just like you and I I sit beside his bed at night and sing a lullaby.
When others stare at this little boy it wounds me deep inside.
They cannot know how much it hurts or see the pain I hide.
And when the other children simply turn and walk away.
I watch him sitting all alone while they run around and play.
But when my child is sleeping he's just like you and me.
I hold his hand and tell him all the things that he can be.
I never thought I that I would bear a special child like this.
It broke my heart to think about all the things that we would miss.
I used to feel so sad inside and I cried a million tears I wanted so much more for him than the pity of his peers.

You see......when my child is sleeping he's just like you and I.
I say a prayer each evening "God bless this little guy."
It's hard to see your little one as he tries to understand.
And it hurts inside when other kids wont lend a helping hand.
But we've grown together in such a way that other mother's can never know.
And I wouldn't trade him for the world because I love him so.
Because, when my child is sleeping he's just like me and you.
I'm blessed to have this little child and I know he loves me too.

c. Sally Meyer 2001

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home